The National Trauma Research Institute (NTRI) was founded in 2003 as a partnership between Alfred Health and Monash University. The Institute’s research strategy is threefold: (i) to conduct world-class clinical research, (ii) to translate the research into practice, policy and system improvements to deliver better clinical care to patients with traumatic injury; and (iii) to mentor the next generation of leaders through postgraduate program supervision.
Our current research projects and published studies are listed below.
Saudi Arabia »
General Surgery »
- Ariyaratnam R, Palmqvist CL, Hider P, et al. Toward a standard approach to measurement and reporting of perioperative mortality rate as a global indicator for surgery. Surgery 2015; 158(1): 17-26.
- Hider P, Wilson L, Rose J, et al. The role of facility-based surgical services in addressing the national burden of disease in New Zealand: an index of surgical incidence based on country-specific disease prevalence. The Lancet 2015; 385 Suppl 2:S25.
- Lantz A, Holmer H, Finlayson S, et al. International migration of surgeons, anaesthesiologists, and obstetricians. The Lancet Global Health 2015; 3 Suppl 2:S11-2.
- Rose J, Weiser TG, Hider P, et al. Estimated need for surgery worldwide based on prevalence of diseases: a modelling strategy for the WHO Global Health Estimate. The Lancet Global Health 2015; 3 Suppl 2:S13-20.
- Watters DA, Hollands MJ, Gruen RL, Maoate K, Perndt H, McDougall RJ, Morriss WW, Tangi V, Casey KM, McQueen KA. Perioperative mortality rate (POMR): a global indicator of access to safe surgery and anaesthesia. World Journal of Surgery 2015; 39(4) 856-864.
- Alway, Y, Gould, KR, Johnston, L, McKenzie, D, Ponsford, J. A prospective examination of Axis I psychiatric disorders in the first 5 years following moderate to severe traumatic brain injury (2016) Psychological Medicine, 46 (6), pp. 1331-1341.
- Alwis DS, Yan EB, Johnstone V, Carron S, Hellewell S, Morganti-Kossmann MC, Rajan R. Environmental enrichment attenuates traumatic brain injury: Induced neuronal hyperexcitability in supragranular layers of sensory cortex. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2016 Jun 1;33(11):1084-101. Epub 2016 Mar 23.
- Alway, Y, McKay, A, Gould, KR, Johnston, L, Ponsford, J. Factors associated with posttraumatic stress disorder following moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: A prospective study (2016) Depression and Anxiety, 33 (1), pp. 19-26.
- Bosch, M, Tavender, EJ, Brennan, SE, Knott, J, Gruen, R.L, Green, SE. The many organisational factors relevant to planning change in emergency care departments: A qualitative study to inform a cluster randomised controlled trial aiming to improve the management of patients with mild traumatic brain injuries (2016) PLoS ONE, 11 (2), art. no. e0148091.
- Bragge P, Piccenna L, Middleton JW, et al. Developing a spinal cord injury research strategy using a structured process of evidence review and stakeholder dialogue. Part I: Rapid review of SCI prioritisation literature. Spinal Cord 2015; 53(10): 714-20.
- Bragge P, Piccenna L, Middleton JW, et al. Developing a spinal cord injury research strategy using a structured process of evidence review and stakeholder dialogue. Part II: Background to a research strategy. Spinal Cord 2015; 53(10): 721-8.
- Bragge P, Synnot A, Maas AI, Menon DK, Cooper DJ, Rosenfeld JV, Gruen RL. A state-of-the-science overview of randomized controlled trials evaluating acute management of moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. 2016 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Brennan J, Bernard S, Cameron PA, et al. Ethanol and isolated traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience 2015; 22(9): 1375-81.
- Cnossen MC, Scholten AC, Lingsma H, et al. Adherence to guidelines in adult patients with traumatic brain injury: a living systematic review. Journal of Neurotrauma, 2015.
- Dahm J, Ponsford J. Predictors of global functioning and employment 10 years following traumatic brain injury compared with orthopaedic injury. Brain Injury, 2015.
- Dahm J, Ponsford J. Comparison of long-term outcomes following traumatic injury: what is the unique experience for those with brain injury compared with orthopaedic injury? Injury 2015; 46(1): 142-149
- Dymowski AR, Owens JA, Ponsford JL, et al. Speed of processing and strategic control of attention after traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2015; 37(10): 1024-35.
- Dymowski A, Ponsford J, Willmott C. Cognitive training approaches to remediate attention and executive dysfunction after traumatic brain injury: a single-case series. Neuropsychological Rehabilitation 2015: 1-29.
- Epstein DS, Mitra B, Cameron PA, Fitzgerald M, Rosenfeld JV. Normalization of coagulopathy is associated with improved outcome after isolated traumatic brain injury. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2016 Feb 29. Epub ahead of print.
- Gould KR, Ponsford JL. A longitudinal examination of positive changes in quality-of-life after traumatic brain injury. Brain Injury 2015; 29(3): 283-290.
- Gultekin R, Huang S, Clavisi O, Pattuwage L, König TC, Gruen R. Pharmacological interventions in traumatic brain injury: Can we rely on systematic reviews for evidence? Injury. 2016 Mar;47(3):516-24. Epub 2015 Oct 24. Review.
- McKay A, Liew C, Schönberger M, Ross P, Ponsford J. Predictors of the on-road driving assessment after traumatic brain injury: Comparing cognitive tests, injury factors, and demographics. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation. 2015 Dec 24. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mercier, E, Mitra, B, Cameron, PA. Challenges in assessment of the mild traumatic brain injured geriatric patient (2016) Injury, 47 (5), pp. 985-987. Editorial
- Middleton J, Piccenna L, Gruen R, et al. Developing a spinal cord injury research strategy using a structured process of evidence review and stakeholder dialogue. Part III: Outcomes. Spinal Cord 2015; 53(10): 729-37.
- Pattuwage, L, Olver, J, Martin, C, Lai, F, Piccenna, L, Gruen, R, Bragge, P. Management of spasticity in moderate and severe traumatic brain injury: Evaluation of clinical practice guidelines (2016) Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, Article in Press.
- Piccenna, L, Lannin, NA, Gruen, R, Pattuwage, L, Bragge, P. The experience of discharge for patients with an acquired brain injury from the inpatient to the community setting: A qualitative review (2016) Brain Injury, 30 (3), pp. 241-251. Review.
- Piccenna, L, Lannin, NA, Scott, K, Bragge, P, Gruen, R. Guidance for community-based caregivers in assisting people with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury with transfers and manual handling: Evidence and key stakeholder perspectives (2016) Health and Social Care in the Community. Article in Press.
- Richardson C, McKay A, Ponsford J. Does feedback influence awareness following traumatic brain injury? Neuropsychological Rehabilitation 2015; 25(2): 233-253.
- Schönberger, M, Reutens, D, Beare, R, O’Sullivan, R, Rajaratnam, SMW, Ponsford, J. Brain lesion correlates of fatigue in individuals with traumatic brain injury (2016) Neuropsychological Rehabilitation, pp. 1-15. Article in Press.
- Synnot A, Gruen R, Menon D, et al. A new approach to evidence synthesis in traumatic brain injury: living systematic reviews. Journal of Neurotrauma, 2015.
- Tam S, McKay A, Sloan S, Ponsford J. The experience of challenging behaviours following severe TBI: a family perspective. Brain Injury 2015; 29(7-8): 813-21.
- Brennan J, Bernard S, Cameron PA, Olaussen A, Fitzgerald MC, Rosenfeld J, Mitra B. 2015. ‘Ethanol exposure and isolated traumatic brain injury’. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. ahead of print DOI:10.1016/j.jocn.2015.05.034.
- P Bragge, A Synnot, AI Maas, DK Menon, DJ Cooper, JV Rosenfeld, RL Gruen. 2015. Randomised controlled trials evaluating acute management of moderate to severe traumatic brain injury: a state of the science overview. Journal of Neurotrauma. ahead of print. DOI:10.1089/neu.2015.4233
- Brazinova A, Rehorcikova V, Taylor MS, Buckova V, Majdan M, Psota M, Peeters W, Feigin V, Theadom A, Holkovic L, Synnot A. 2015. Epidemiology of traumatic brain injury in Europe: a living systematic review. Journal of Neurotrauma. ahead of print DOI: 10.1089/neu.2015.4126.
Trauma Resuscitation »
- Brichko L, Jennings P, Bain C, et al. Selecting cases for feedback to pre-hospital clinicians – a pilot study. Australian Health Review 2015.
- Kevric J, O’Reilly GM, Gocentas RA, Hasip O, Pilgrim C, Mitra B. Management of haemodynamically stable patients with penetrating abdominal stab injuries: review of practice at an Australian major trauma centre. European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery. 2015 Dec 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Mitra B, Nash JL, Cameron PA, et al. Potentially avoidable blood transfusion during trauma resuscitation. Injury 2015; 46(1): 10-4.
- Olaussen A, Fitzgerald MC, Tan GA, et al. Cryoprecipitate administration after trauma. European Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015.
- Olaussen A, Peterson EL, Mitra B, et al. Massive transfusion prediction with inclusion of the pre-hospital Shock Index. Injury 2015; 46(5): 822-6.
- Olaussen A, Thaveenthiran P, Fitzgerald MC, Jennings PA, Hocking J, Mitra B. Prediction of critical haemorrhage following trauma: A narrative review. Journal of Emergency Medicine, Trauma & Acute Care 2016:3.
- Snow H, O’Donohoe T, Martin K, et al. Antithrombotic therapy in blunt cerebrovascular injury – do we need more information? Trauma 2015.
- Huang S, Vohora A, Russ MK, Mathew JK, Johnny CS, Stevens J, Fitzgerald MC. Delaying urinary catheter insertion in the reception and resuscitation of blunt multitrauma and using a full bladder to tamponade pelvic bleeding. Injury 46 (6): 1081–1083.
- Olaussen A, Peterson EL, Mitra B, O’Reilly G, Jennings P, Fitzgerald M. ‘Massive transfusion prediction with inclusion of the pre-hospital Shock Index’. Injury 46 (6): 822-826. DOI information: 10.1016/j.injury.2014.12.009.
- Olaussen A, Fitzgerald MC, Tan GA, Mitra B. ‘Cryoprecipitate administration after trauma’, European Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015.
- Kevric J, Martin K, Varma D, Fitzgerald MC, Pilgrim C, Aguirre V. ‘Peritoneal breach as an indication for exploratory laparotomy in penetrating abdominal stab injury – a review of operative findings in haemodynamically stable patients,’ Emergency Medicine International 2015, Article ID 407173, ahead of print. DOI information:10.1155/2015/407173.
Thoracic Trauma »
- Burrell AJ, JL. Hare, PJ Francis, M Fitzgerald, DJ Cooper, D Murphy, DM Kaye, AJ Taylor. ‘Impact of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging – cardiac contusion with intramural hemorrhage’. Circulation 2015: 79(1), 216-217.
- Burrell A, Hare J, Fitzgerald M, Cooper D, Kaye D, Taylor A. Myocardial injury following blunt chest trauma as evaluated by MRI: A prospective cohort study. Heart, Lung and Circulation 24: S352-S353 December 2015.
- M Anderson, M Fitzgerald, K Martin, M Santamaria, S Arendse, G O’Reilly, DV Smit, U Orda, S Morasco. ‘Collaboration between cardiothoracic and trauma units: reducing chest drain complication rates’. Heart, Lung and Circulation 2015. ahead of print. DOI information: 10.1016/j.hlc.2014.12.128.
- Ackland, HM, Pilcher, DV, Roodenburg, OS, McLellan, SA, Cameron, PA, Cooper, DJ. Danger at every rung: Epidemiology and outcomes of ICU-admitted ladder-related trauma (2016) Injury, 47 (5), pp. 1109-1117.
- Bain C, MacManus C, Fitzgerald MC. Efficiencies in healthcare data management – the case of clinical registries. Canadian International Journal of Science and Technology 2015.
- Birdsey M, Edwards G, Abetz J, Jennings N, Mitra B. Bite wounds and antibiotic prescription among patients presenting to an Australian emergency department. International Emergency Nursing. 2015 Nov 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Colombo C, Filippini G, Synnot A, Hill S, Guglielmino R, Traversa S, Confalonieri P, Mosconi P, Tramacere I. Development and assessment of a website presenting evidence-based information for people with multiple sclerosis: the IN-DEEP project. BMC Neurology. 2016 Mar 2;16:30.
- Gabbe B, Simpson PM, Harrison, JE, Lyons RA, Ameratunga S, Ponsford J, Fitzgerald M, Judson R, Collie A, Cameron PA. Return to work and functional outcomes after major trauma – Who recovers, when, how well? Annals of Surgery 263:4 (2016); 623-632.
- Huang Y, Zhang L, Lian G, Zhan R, Xu R, Huang Y, Mitra B, Wu J, Luo G. A novel mathematical model to predict prognosis of burnt patients based on logistic regression and support vector machine. Burns (42): 291-299.
- Moloczij N, Mosley I, Moss KM, et al. Is telemedicine helping or hindering the delivery of stroke thrombolysis in rural areas? A qualitative analysis. Internal Medicine Journal 2015; 45(9): 957-64.
- Orda, U, Gunnarsson, R, Orda, S, Fitzgerald, M, Rofe, G, Dargan, A. Etiologic predictive value of a rapid immunoassay for the detection of group A Streptococcus antigen from throat swabs in patients presenting with a sore throat (2016) International Journal of Infectious Diseases, 45, pp. 32-35.
- Orda, U, Gunnarson R, Mitra B, Orda S, Fitzgerald MC, Rofe G, Dargan A. Point of care testing for Group A Streptococci in patients presenting with pharyngitis will improve appropriate antibiotic prescription. Emergency Medicine Australasia (2016), Open Online AID – EMM12567.
- Page MJ, McKenzie JE, Chau M, et al. Methods to select results to include in meta-analyses deserve more consideration in systematic reviews. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2015; 68(11): 1282-91.
- Pathan S, Mitra B, Straney LD, Shuaib Afzal M, Anjum S, Shukla D, Morley K, Al Hilli SA, Al Rumaihi K, Thomas SH, Cameron PA. ‘Delivering safe and effective analgesia for management of renal colic in the emergency department: a double blind, multigroup, randomized controlled trial.’ The Lancet. 2016. DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)00652-8. epub ahead of print.
- Reith F, Van den Brande R, Synnot A, Gruen R, Maas A. The reliability of the Glasgow Coma Scale: a systematic review. Intensive Care Medicine 2015. ahead of print. DOI information: 10. 1007/ s00134-015-4124-3.
- Roy N, Gerdin M, Ghosh S, Gupta A, Kumar V, Khajanchi M, Schneider EB, Gruen R, Tomson G, von Schreeb J. 30-Day In-hospital Trauma Mortality in Four Urban University Hospitals Using an Indian Trauma Registry. World Journal of Surgery. 2016 June;40(6):1299-307.
- Tavender EJ, Bosch M, Fiander M, et al. Implementation research in emergency medicine: a systematic scoping review. Emergency Medicine Journal 2015.
- Tavender EJ, Bosch M, Gruen RL, et al. Developing a targeted, theory-informed implementation intervention using two theoretical frameworks to address health professional and organisational factors: a case study to improve the management of mild traumatic brain injury in the emergency department. Implementation Science 2015;10: 74.
- Wuthisuthimethawee P, Lindquist SJ, Sandler N, Clavisi O, Korin S, Watters D, Gruen RL. Wound management in disaster settings. World Journal of Surgery 2015; 39(4) 842-853.